Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Summer Time Selections - Congratulations to All New Parents!

 
Summer Time Reading Promotion!
It's never too early to enjoy books with you babies!
Congratulations to All Parents with New Babies!
 
 
I am so happy to know that several of my Face Book Friends have recently given birth to new babies to cuddle, love, nurture, and share family traditions. Some are experienced teachers and others come from families where books were a part of their lives.  But even if you were not exposed to literature as a child, you have a perfect opportunity to introduce this wonderful tradition to your babies! Books encourage a love for words.  Literature facilitates how we learn new concepts, increases vocabulary, and  exposes us to differing viewpoints.  As a child, reading allowed me to fantasize about travel, relationships, and my future adventures.  I learned about different cultures and value systems outside of my circle of knowledge.  Books helped me grow and explore.
 
I have fond memories of story times. My parents took turns reading an assortment of Golden Books, Classical Treasures, and an assortment of short stories and poems from the Children's World Book Encyclopedias.  Summer Times were glorious opportunities to check out a tower of books from the library.  I looked forward to my dad's weekly library visits with me and my five siblings.  I devoured all genres and pushed myself to see how many pages I could turn over each day before I had no choice but to close my eyes from exhaustion.  Summer Times were my personal challenge and I could easily deplete my selections for the week in record time.  I took my books in the car, to the park, and while I sat outside basking in the warmth of the Virginia Beach sun.
 
Books hold a special place in my heart, so naturally I decided to develop this blog site in an effort to share this love.  I signed on to be a Partner for "Read Aloud 15 Minutes" because I believe this campaign has value.  I remember taking my daughter to work with me when she was four months old and I had some office work to accomplish.  I placed a blanket on the floor near my desk and put her on her tummy with books fanned out around her.  She loved looking at the books as she practiced lifting her head.  Her smiles and coos indicated that she was captivated by the illustrations.  That was her introduction to books in addition to her nightly story time.  My Administrative Assistant walked in and remarked, "Gee, you're starting early with her." 
 
Here are a few hard back books to get you started with your baby's "tummy time" on a blanket.  When baby gets fussy, try turning the pages or rearranging the books.  You can add a few soft toys for reaching too.  When you notice baby getting tired or looking away, then it's time to pack up until next time.  Summer Time is a great time to add books to your baby bag, backpack, or picnic basket.  Books are pretty portable.  Take a couple to baby's doctor's appointments, church, grocery store, or car ride.  Don't be surprise if baby falls asleep with her/his favorite book while seated in baby bouncy chair or car seat.  It can be relaxing!
 
Happy Baby! Happy Summer! Happy Reading!
 
Recommendations
 
Baby's First Animals Book - Hardback - 9781409500001 - Stacey Lamb
 
 
 
 
Orchard Book of Nursery Rhymes for Your Baby - Hardback - 9781408304587 - Mary Ann Hoberman
 
 
 
Buenas Noches, Bebe! / Good Night, Baby! (Soft-to-Touch Books) (... Cover Art
 
 
 
Este no es mi conejito...
 
 
 
Ten Tiny Babies (Hardcover): Karen Katz
 
 
 
Good Morning Baby: Padded Board Books (Hardcover) ~ Jo Foord (Au... Cover Art
 
 
 
Babies, Babies!
 
 
 
Global Babies/Bebes del Munco
 
 
Ok, Ok.  I could go on and on with my favorites.  I'd love to hear your selections so I can feature them here!  Please add your reviews in the comments section of this blog.  Congratulations on the newest addition to your family!  I am so thrilled for you!  Happy Thursday!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment